The use of herbs and spices has been incredibly important throughout history.
Many were celebrated for their medicinal properties, well before culinary use.
Modern science has now shown that many of them do indeed carry remarkable health benefits.
Here are 10 of the world’s healthiest herbs and spices.
1. Cinnamon – has numerous health benefits, and is particularly effective at lowering blood sugar levels
2. Sage – there is promising evidence that sage extract can improve brain and memory function
3. Peppermint – the natural oil in peppermint provides pain relief for those with IBS. It also has potent anti-nausea effects when used in aromatherapy
4. Turmeric – studies have shown that curcumin, the active ingredient in the spice turmeric, has major benefits for many aspects of health
5. Basil – appears to improve immune function and inhibit the growth of bacteria, yeasts and molds
6. Cayenne Pepper – is very rich in a substance called capsaicin, which reduces appetite and boosts fat burning. It has also shown anti-cancer potential
7. Ginger – appears to be an effective treatment for many types of nausea. It is also anti-inflammatory, and can help reduce pain
8. Fenugreek – has been shown to improve the function of insulin, leading to significant reductions in blood sugar levels
9. Rosemary – Rosmarinic acid has anti-inflammatory effects that appear to suppress allergy symptoms and reduce nasal congestion
10. Garlic – can combat sickness including the common cold and improve heart health
Check out the video link below to find out about 5 spices that will make your food taste great and are also great for burning fat.