What is Protein?
Protein is an important food group that is involved in nearly all bodily functions and processes. It is an essential dietary nutrient for healthy living and it plays a key role in exercise recovery.
Protein needs to be an important part of your diet in order to achieve your weight loss goal.
Four main areas that have direct effects on weight loss:
- Keeps you full longer
- Helps preserve lean body mass
- Compared to carbohydrates or fats, protein requires more energy to break down (thermic effect of food)
- Can be more difficult to store as body fat
- Supports the immune system
Other beneficial effects of protein – it can:
- Strengthen bones
- Reduce muscle loss during aging
- Improve wound healing
Check out the video below “Why you need to ensure you eat enough protein when you are losing weight”