Eating healthy food doesn’t mean giving up your favourite foods. Cooking at home means you are in control of the ingredients as restaurant meals are almost always higher in calories and sodium than something you would cook yourself. Whats more you get to eat what you like!
Your favourite recipes can be adapted easily to provide a healthier alternative.
Healthy cooking and eating includes:
- Steam, bake, grill, braise, boil or microwave your foods.
- Modify or eliminate recipes that include butter or ask you to deep fry or sauté in animal fat.
- Avoid added oils and butter; use non-stick cookware instead.
- Don’t add salt to food as it is cooking.
- Remove chicken skin and trim the fat from meat.
- Eat more fresh vegetables and legumes.
- Eat more fish, which is high in protein, low in fats and loaded with essential omega-3 fatty acids.
Check out the video below for some great baking substitutes.